[Eeglablist] Practical Implementation of a simple BCI using emotiv EPOC

Aditya Pralhad Patil adityamadhwa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:23:02 PST 2016

Hello All,

I'm a master student at San Jose State university and am currently working
on a project that uses EEG.

Using Emotiv EPOC hardware, I would like to have a simple BCI that detects:

1.Blinking of an eye
2.Raising an arm (motor activity) and
3.Some mental command (such as push/pull of an object)

furthermore, I would like to analyze the effect on performance of the above
simple detector by using various different transforms such as FFT, Discrete
wavelet, Bandpass, Eigen Value on the raw EEG data.

The motivation for such as attempt is to validate or invalidate a
hypothesis that an "Adaptive BCI" may be developed which can dynamically
switch to most reliable/computationally efficient transform data based on
the type of above mentioned detections.

In what ways can I use EEGlab here? Can I use for online detection?
Is OpenVibe more suitable for such an application?

Since I come from a non signal processing/neuroscience background I'd
really appreciate your tips and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Aditya