[Eeglablist] Merging files for preprocessing and ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 6 20:15:44 PST 2016

Dear Caroline,

Hi Caroline from North Carolina.

> I would like to hear your opinion about this idea, whether you also do
this approach and what I should consider when merging files.

That's not recommended. Do not concatenate differently capped datasets even
if they are recorded from a same subject. It's not the subject's anatomy,
but spatial relation between EEG sources and cap's electrodes is the issue.
This is what ICA models, therefore you can't perform a single ICA on a
differently capped subject. In other words, to apply an single ICA your
subject cannot take out the electrode cap. ICA's spatial filter is
surprisingly sensitive as you saw. With different capping, ICA wouldl
return split-half results i.e. one component explains only the first half
of the data, and the rest of the half is 'green' (i.e. zero variance
accounted for).

For the same reason, re-gelling during the break period is not recommended.

I updated my pipeline wiki page for you.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#Run_ICA_.2812.2F06.2F2016_updated.29

> however I clearly saw that many of the signals (e.g. muscle, but also
physiological brain components) changed in activation after the transition
of the merged files.

Right, this is what I mean.

> People are likely more relaxed after sleep, are maybe more focussed and I
was wondering whether merging of datasets is not ideal because conditions
are slightly different and I even expect that oscillatory activity relative
to the stimuli will slightly differ before and after sleep for the same
task. What is your impression?

In this particular case, for the abovementioned reason, this interpretation
seems incorrect. This is purely computational problem in ICA application.

Say hello to Sankara and Sangtae.

Makoto