[Eeglablist] Minimum number of Trials for ERSP Analysis

Gozde BAYER gbayer at hacettepe.edu.tr
Tue Dec 6 23:05:25 PST 2016

Dear EEGLAB List,

I have been trying to design an experiment with many different types of
visual stimuli (e.g. 8 different video types) from which I plan to get
some specific frequency responses, for example getting band power of
beta frequency within a specific time window. I know that I need several
repetition of each video type so that there will be many trials to get
an ERSP analysis,say for each subject...But since I have already 8 video
types and if I repeat each video 10 times for example, it will end up
with 80 videos in total. From my previous experience, subjects
undergoing long visual stimuli may get bored and lose attention very
easily.
My question is: what should be the "minumum number of trials" to get a
reasonable/valid ERSP analysis ? I think the higher the better but in my
case this means lots of video stimulations which becomes impractical..If
the repetition of each video is 12 then 8x12=96 videos in total. Then
should I rely on such trial numbers (n=10,11,12..)  while calculating
ERSP ?
So far, I have been unable to find a paper on this issue..

I would appreciate any help,
Thank you vey much.

Gözde BAYER