[Eeglablist] PSD: ICA+PCA?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 13 19:41:32 PST 2016

Dear Alberto,

PCA before ICA has a meaning of dimension reduction to allow ICA to have
less model order (this is empirical though). Since you can project
dimension-reduced PCs to channels any time, the meaning of the process is
pretty straightforward.

PCA after ICA is a bit tricky. I guess you can do that as long as your PCA
(1st or up to 3rd or whatever) results show that good portion of the data
variance is accounted for by those... in my personal experience, the first
PC could explain 50-60% of time-frequency results across all ICs, which I
thought is not too bad if I can say something interesting based upon it.

> how would you average the total frequency of all channels?

You can use ICA for the purpose of dimension reduction too; you count ICs
until the 60% of the variance is accounted for, for example. Then what ICs
does it select? That's a good question, isn't it?

Relatedly, there is std_envtopo() plugin. It tells you which IC cluster
explain how much of variance in grand averaged ERP envelope. This can tell
you which cluster you should focus on, because it tells you who is most
dominant in which ERP (envelope) component.

Makoto