[Eeglablist] Dipolar components

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 1 18:55:05 PST 2017

Dear Ali,

The scalp maps of ICs directly reflects the columns of mixing matrix (i.e.
EEG.icawinv).
See slide 14: 'How does ICA model physiology' (from EEGLAB workshop 2017 at
Mysore)
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/mediawiki/images/7/74/IcaDecompositionOfEegData4.pdf

Therefore, if you see nice dipolar scalp maps, it means that ICA (which
does not know anything... it does not know channel locations, does not even
know the signal is EEG!) identified theoretical electrophysiological
property of EEG (see Nunes books about it).

> Is it just the smoothness of the scalp maps that determines capacity to
fit dipoles?

No, not the smoothness. It's dipolarity. See Delorme et al. (2012) PLoS One
paper.

Makoto