[Eeglablist] Dipolar components

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 7 19:19:37 PST 2017

Dear Ali,

> Yes, as you mentioned earlier, the scalp maps reflect directly the
columns of weight matrix. But this prediction of dipolar sources from the
IC scalp maps is not based on the smoothness, right? if yes, the rough
scalp maps could not be dipolar?

You can think of an counter-example of a smooth scalp map with 3 foci. This
is not single-dipolar.

> Could you please explain it more that why dipole inversion " is NOT a
cause of spatial non-stationarity"?

I already gave you the best (favorite) example. If you say dipole inversion
causes spatial non-stationarity, it is the same as saying that when you
play those dipole speakers they move around in the room.

Why do you say dipole inversion is a cause of spatial non-stationarity? Can
you tell me an example case?

By the way, when you say data non-stationarity, it usually refers to
temporal non-stationarity i.e. signal changes from block to block, for
example (from resting to task A, then to task B, etc).

Makoto