[Eeglablist] Filtering Confirmation

Isaiah Innis isainnis at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:47:32 PST 2017

Hello eeglablist:

I have been closely following the recent pop_eegfiltnew filtering
discussion with great interest; I would like to verify that I am filtering
my datasets correctly. My goal is to bandpass filter 0.1 - 100Hz

Previously I had been using these options:
EEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, 0.1, 100, 33000, 0, [], 0);
I believe I understand now that this is wrong because 1) I should not use
the highpass filter order for the entire bandpass, but do them separately
and 2) the input is passband edge, NOT cutoff frequency. In reality here I
was filtering from 0.05 - 112.5Hz correct? How worried should I be about my
mistake?

To correctly filter 0.1-100Hz (at 1kHz srate) I should:
EEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, 0.2, [], 16500, 0, [], 0);
EEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, [], 89, 150, 0, [], 0);
Is this accurate?

I have looked at using pop_firws, but am hesitant because it does not
display in the command window the cutoff freq, passband edge, etc... and I
am not certain how to define the transition bandwidth correctly here.

 I would like to thank Andreas, Jumana, Makoto, and any others for having
this discussion; it has been helpful.

Thank you,