[Eeglablist] EOG channels included in ICA and DIPFIT

Tim Curran tim.curran at colorado.edu
Thu May 11 08:02:22 PDT 2017

A tangential question…

Makoto says, " I tend to include them [EOG channels]. If you exclude them, you typically find no frontal ICs”. There seems to be a common understanding that using ICA to correct for eye movements is OK if you are primarily interested in posterior EEG, but that ICA eye movement correction is problematic when interested in frontal EEG because ICA cannot clearly separate frontal activity from eye activity.  This logically follows from Makoto’s comment, but does anybody know of actual references, which demonstrate that ICA eye movement correction is OK if interested in posterior EEG, but not OK if interested in frontal EEG?
thanks
Tim