[Eeglablist] ICA Misinformation

Stefan Debener stefan.debener at uni-oldenburg.de
Sat Jun 17 12:36:47 PDT 2017

Hi there,

I fully agree with Arno. Robert, you may consider the following thoughts:

- We should not forget that many physiological artifacts are more or
less continuous in nature. ECG artifacts for instance are usually not
visible in the raw EEG, but they clearly exist - for as long as the
subject your are recording from is as alive. So, the important
implication is that non-brain artifacts near continuoulsy contaminate
the recording, even if you don't see them! Just because they are not
visible does not mean that they don't exist. This probably also holds
for eye-related artifacts (among which many may contribute small
voltage, but seem near always present, like microstates with eyes open,
or eye ball rotations with eyes closed, etc...) and for muscle-related
artifacts (e.g., neck muscles). They are not simply on or off, but more
or less active, thus they contribute funny activation patterns to the
EEG. It follows that an artifact-rejection approch alone may be
misleading, regardless of whether it is implemented by visual inspection
or using objective criteria). I personally don't believe that there is
any such thing as artifact-free EEG recordings. The artifact
contributions are just more or less dominant...

- The ICA model comes with a couple assumptions (like any statistical
approach), and if the data do not adhere to the model assumptions then
the resulting decomposition may be of very poor quality. In my view, it
does not make much sense to praise or condemn a procedure without
keeping in mind this fact. Keeping an eye on model assumptions could
(and I think, should) guide the preprocessing steps. ICA decomposition
quality depends clearly on how the data are preprocessed (e.g.;
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7319296/?reload=true). You may also
want to consider the SPR guidelines:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/psyp.12147/abstract;jsessionid=ADC0B75ACEC7963AA2BCA8A10F317A3F.f02t04.

- I remotely remember Robert or someones else stating in a previous mail
that DTI, ADHD and other types of evidence would validate the functional
connectivity patterns observed with inverse solutions of 19-channel raw
EEG (I got a similar impression when exploring the
appliedneuroscience.com website). Well, I find those associations to be
not convincing. With or without ICA, the inverse problem should not be
neglected, some care is required for the source level interpretation.
Playing a little with parameter settings for source analysis is a good
reminder that the resulting outcome could be dramatically different for
different settings (same holds for channel-level analysis as well -
outcome depends on your processing!). In my opinion, source-level
analysis can only confirm predictions (i.e., the result matching your
priori expectations); I personally don't trust EEG source activations at
unexpected locations, they appear, more often than not, spurious to me.
In contrast, the use of ICA for eye blink correction seems much, much
better validated to me!

- I don't really get the concern of ICA messing up the phase of the
continuous EEG signal. Of course, a spatial (or temporal) filter will
modify the signal, that's it's purpose, and if the filter attenuates
some portions of the signal, the residual signal may have a different
phase, amplitude and/or topography. Because for real EEG recordings
nobody knows the ground truth, the question should be whether a filter
makes the data better or worse (for an excellent discussion on temporal
filters making the data better/worse, see:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25128257). Assuming that the raw
data are a (hopefully linear) mixture of an unknown number of (brain and
non-brain) sources, and, more likely than not, that the number of
sources contributing are larger than the number of channels (at least
for 19-ch this seems pretty obvious to me), NOT processing the data at
all does not give a good reference for any comparison. In other words,
the raw data do not qualify very well as the gold standard, because they
may be messy (i.e., mixed!). More informative would be a comparison (of,
say, two different filter approaches) with regard to a particular effect
of interest (say, theta and working memory relationship, or any feature
one has sufficient evidence to justify a clear prediction).

Best,
Stefan