[Eeglablist] FW: ICA Misinformation

otte georges georges.otte at pandora.be
Mon Jun 19 23:54:04 PDT 2017

Dear Jason

As most of us clinicians, in my practice  I use a 19 ch EEG. Artefacts are not limited to blinks as also tremor, psychogalvanic, line noise, electrode pops, movement, emg, ECG etc can occur. Mostly we can contain this and we can select fairly large parts of EEG without artefact.

If I use ICA components of blinks, tremor, muscle EMG, pletysmo, etc .. to clean up the EEG recording then I will reconstruct parts of EEG that are completely artefact free. ICA is reconstructing parts that need not to be reconstructed. Maybe there is a solution to that (Phil Zeeman?). But as it is now this seems rather illogical to me. If I need to rebuild a wall in my house why should I tear down and rebuild all the other good parts? In analogy, why  change (by multiplying reconstructing) eeg segments when there are no blinks, tremor, muscle or pletysmo in those segments. I am old fashionedly devoted to Hanssens Theorema: “there is no substitute for clean data”.

If clinicians have access to “automatic methods” to clean their EEG’s they will no doubt use them without much thinking (they generally trust manufactures) and will get “nice” looking traces but if 5 or 6 ICA components are rejected from 19 ch can we honestly accept that a reconstruction will be as good as the original or even improve our EEG ? I doubt that.

In some experiments that we did (trying to replicate Montefusco’s findings)unpublished but presented at a conference ,  we noticed that changes after reconstruction were mostly (but not only) at the origin of artefact and often in the same frequency band. The problem with 19 ch is that we can stumble over the overcomplete situation (more sources then sensors) and that artefact and genuine brain activity is lumped together. Removing IC components that also index for brain slow wave activity from frontal regions can be problematic in case of frontal tumor (glioma). Missing them  is one of my many (clinical fears and  concerns).

Sincerely

PS I do not think that you have to explain ICA nor other signal analysis algorithms to Dr Thacher. 😊 but feel free to do so if that is your ambition.