[Eeglablist] ICA Misinformation

Robert Thatcher rwthatcher2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 14:35:10 PDT 2017

Ramesh,   This list group seems unique in believing that all EEG is so full of artifact that it justifies using methods like ICA reconstruction that create more artifact because whats wrong with adding more artifact to something that is already essentially 100% artifact?   I have not come across this belief system in my career until engaging with the EEGlab list.  Obviously, I do not agree with this opinion.   In the short term it is ok to have such a belief because science relies upon hypothesis testing and cross-validation and verification and independent testing and therefore this belief system will not have a long-term impact on the science of EEG and hopefully will not waste tax payer money or set back the young minds of students trying to learn about EEG.
I encourage members of this forum to visit the National Library of Medicine database (Pubmed) and ask questions and challenge the belief that EEG is "chaos" or "random" or "full of artifact".   Here is a url to the Pubmed website:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

For those interested, here is a url to a paper that I wrote titled:  VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OFQUANTITATIVEELECTROENCEPHALOGRAPHY (qEEG)

http://www.appliedneuroscience.com/Coh_phasediff&phase_resetinEEG-ERP.pdf

EEGlabs is a fantastic resource with very important contributions and I appreciate all of the dialog that we have had!  I agree with Ramesh and Gedeon's suggestions to use this discussion to transform to positive outcomes and seek the best uses of QEEG and also ICA.  If we can change the subject from ICA reconstruction to allegedly remove artifact to ICA feature detection (try to avoid the reconstruction) then  great progress can be made.  ICA feature detection (not reconstruction) helps identify "seeds" that can isolate critical parts of a dynamical system.  Independent components help identify the core parts of a specialized hub in a network.  Once the critical features are idenified then one can improve the signal-to-noise ratio and try to spatially localize the local features and then study their functional and effective connectivity between the local set of feature detectors to distant hubs.
I am copying a url to an exemplar study that ICA (without reconstruction) has promise:  "The Code for Facial Identity in the Primate Brain" where: "Facial identity is encoded via a remarkably simple neural code that relies on the ability of neurons to distinguish  facial features along specific axes in facespace, disavowing the long-standingassumption that single face cells encodeindividual faces. "
http://www.appliedneuroscience.com/Face recognition by 206 cells each representing a multi-dimensionl factors (Vector)-Le Chang.pdf

Best wishes,
Robert