[Eeglablist] Beyond good and evil of ICA

Marius Klug marius.s.klug at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 16:17:02 PDT 2017

Dear Makoto,

thank you for this thread, this is vital to keep investigations in actual
problems of ICA and spatial filters active and on point!

The spatial stationarity is especially a problem as soon as you investigate
any kind of muscle, as you've shown once yourself (I believe?), which is
important for MoBI research. But yes, also cortical traveling waves might
pose a more than trivial problem... The way spatial filters are, it's not
really solvable, is it?

It also goes together with the problem of temporal instationarity. It would
effectively mean that we need a new filter for each frame of the traveling
wave (for max resolution), which would disable any meaningful
interpretation the way its done right now, right? A hard nut to crack for
sure... As for different models for different tasks: I think this is also a
result in itself. It shows nicely that the brain has different working
modes, or states, if it solves different tasks. We thought of taking
multiple models of the AMICA into account, but stick with one for now until
we have everything working smoothly. Interesting thing!

And for the last point: I heard a talk a while ago where source
localization wasn't done based on dipoles but on specific areas most likely
to be the origin of a filter. It was also different for different
algorithms, meaning the areas were not Brodmann, but different per
algorithm used and the boundaries were based on their inaccuracies etc. Do
you know more of this and if so what is your thought here? I'm afraid I
cannot do more research at the moment since I don't have access to a PC for
a while (I'm writing on my phone)...

Robert,

those quotes show that we all agree that the phase is different if data is
taken out. This is no surprise at all, since, obviously, data was taken
out. The claim is that the data that was taken out was artifact. As I've
written, it might be that this claim does not hold true perfectly with 19
channels BUT this is untested. It may be that the changed phase is the
better, i.e. more "brainy" phase, and results for tests are more precise.
It may be that they are not, because a sufficiently large amount of brain
data has slipped into the eye component (not impossible with 19 channels).
The latter would be a problem, and investigating this would be important
(writing the same things on the eeglablist all the time not so much) and it
would answer Andy's second question.

The 19-18 bitcoins example does not hold true either. One does create the
same amount of channels from fewer sources. Not from fewer channels. The
latter would be interpolation and is also regularly used, by the way. The
former takes specific sources out and simulates a recording without these
sources. Both final data matrices have a reduced rank. It is more so that
the EEG contains a few gold nuggets (brain sources) and many stones
(artifact sources) crushed and mixed together and then placed in a few
bowls (channels), and ICA tries to separate those and created the most
accurate representation of gold nuggets and stones it can. The most obvious
stones are then taken out and the remaining gold and a smaller amount of
stone powder is then placed back into the bowls again. They are a little
less filled then (rank reduction) and the quality of the powder in the
bowls is different (phase has changed) because a stone is missing. If there
are only 19 channels (and also with high-density, but less gravely so) the
ICA cannot separate gold from stone perfectly so there is a risk of
throwing away some gold. There are other algorithms (spatio-spectral
decomposition, SSD, for example) that separate based on different criteria,
but in the end all are the same train of thought: Unmixing the mix of gold
and stone. If one does not think there is stone in the bowls one of course
thinks all changes lower the value. This is an assumption at least as big
as the assumptions underlying ICA...

I hope this is a nice example and helps all readers understand the topic a
little better! Andy, has this helped you with your first question? I cannot
contribute to the second, but I do think it is important to check!

Best,
Marius