[Eeglablist] Problems with a CHEPS thermode and EEG reading

Malte Anders malteanders at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 23:44:25 PST 2017

Dear EEG Lab list,

I dug a bit deeper and my nightmares have come true... at least now I know
what is going wrong. See this screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/5pcBT

The EEG is unreferenced, thats why its in the 1 mV range. The blue line
marks the spot where the subject was handed the CHEPS electrode. Before
that, somebody else was holding the electrode. As you can see, the signal
was perfectly clean before the subject took the thermode in her hand. She
_only_ touched the outer metal case of the thermode. Filters can be seen in
the top row (bandpass < 1Hz, > 60Hz, notch 48-52 Hz). We're in Europe so
notch is between 48-52, those filters were just applied for visualization
purposes.

After the thick blue line, there is some random noise in the line which
can't be 50 Hz as i have notch filtered the EEG! I am currently out of
ideas but still pretty happy as I found the culprit for my messed up
data... The signal is gone after re-referencing e.g. to earlobes - which
makes sense - but a noise like that should not be in an EEG whatsoever so I
need to solve this problem.

The red line (Trigger 9) is a 51 °C CHEPS stimulus and this is the pattern
I get every time I am applying a stimulus. Before the trigger: up down up
down and then after the trigger: 0,5 seconds of basically nothing (flat
line which, if zoomed in, shows a sinus wave as seen in the first post). As
this is the crucial part for me (obviously) this can't be a good sign...

The thermode looks like this:
https://imgur.com/a/nAOAk

The CHEPS machine looks like this:
https://imgur.com/a/0OWQi

The red circle marks the _only_ connection to the EEG which is a 5V trigger
signal. Even if this is disconnected I get a really weird EEG reading as
seen in the first screenshot so this can't be a problem. There are _no_
other physical connections besides the subject who is holding the thermode.

The EEG ist +5 V and draws 6A Maximum. Both are connected to a power outlet
(230 Volts, 50 Hz) in the same room. I still have no idea if this makes a
difference though.

I am happy for any input here. Thank you so much!
Malte

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Malte Anders