[Eeglablist] About running ica on several machines

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:01:29 PST 2018

Hi Matthew, notes below. all the best.
I am not sure but running a single ICA decomposition across several
machines might be tricky or problematic. With a saavy programmer, you
should be able to modify the code to, for example, have a different bias
file name.
I hope at least one of the suggestions below is useful to you. You will
most likely get better answers from eeglab developers and other users who
have solved issues similar to yours for their needs.

1. parallelized version of the code that can make the most use of
parallelized matlab processing on a single computer
2. explore cuda based ICA
3. consider running multiple instances of matlab (on separate computers)
4. use a gpu/processor bank/farm to send the "ica job" to
5. saavy users can also likely benefit from cloud-based services, of course
at some cost
some national programs that make free processors available to some
researchers e.g., canada's sharknet I believe)
6. check out EEGGIFT documentation for possible details regarding your
question
7. why not just run let each of your "machines" process one EEG file at a
time. You are already ahead if you have "multiple machines" available :)