[Eeglablist] Position for a PhD student; Neural oscillations and perceptual decision making; University of Muenster, Germany

Niko Busch niko.busch at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:17:45 PDT 2018

# Position for a PhD student; Neural oscillations and perceptual
decision making; University of Muenster, Germany
My lab at the Institute of Psychology/University of Muenster, Germany,
is currently looking for a PhD student. This 3-year position is funded
by a research grant from the German Research Council (DFG). Salary will
be payed according to German standards (TV-L E-13, 65%). An association
with the graduate program at the Otto-Creutzfeld-Center for Cognitive
and Behavioral Neuroscience is an option.

The official job ad can be found here (sorry, only in German, for
English, read on):
https://www.uni-muenster.de/Rektorat/Stellen/ausschreibungen/st_20181105_sk12.html

Research in the lab focuses on visual cognition and cognitive
neuroscience. Our research topics include visual attention, scene
perception, and the role of brain oscillations in perception, attention
and visual memory. Our arsenal of research methods includes
psychophysics, EEG, and eye tracking (fMRI, MEG, and brain stimulation
are also available at other institutions in Muenster).

# Background:
This  research project focuses on the relationship between
spontaneous/pre-stimulus neural activity and  perceptual decision
making. Specifically, we will investigate how pre-stimulus alpha
oscillations bias the perception of upcoming visual stimuli. Thus, the
project involves the analysis of neural oscillations recorded with EEG,
and modeling of behavioral/psychophysical performance.

More information about the project, the lab (hardware and people), and
the city of Muenster can be found here:
http://go.wwu.de/bbw4f

# Necessary skills:
* Master’s degree or Diploma in psychology, neuroscience or related
disciplines
* Strong, demonstrable interest in empirical research on attention,
perception, or decision making
* Strong programming skills in Matlab or Python
* Good command of English (spoken and written)

# Desirable:
* Experience with designing and conducting psychological experiments
* Experience with psychophysics or computational/statistical modeling
* Experience with EEG recording and analysis
* Experience in scientific writing

Applications should include a CV, a brief statement of research
interests, the expected date of availability and the names of 2
references as a single PDF file. Applications should be sent preferably
before June 15th, 2018, to jobs.buschlab at gmail.com

If you are potentially interested in this position, I would be glad to
answer any informal questions about the position, research, or
application requirements (niko.busch at uni-muenster.de).

I will also be at VSS in St. Pete Beach in May, and would be happy to
meet potential candidates in person.