[Eeglablist] Time- frequency analysis

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 1 11:43:55 PDT 2018

Dear Iryna,

I'm disappearing from the list until November, so this is my last response.
Another lab member will answer the questions in other months.
First of all, I noticed several issues in your parameter settings. I
recommend you add the following optional inputs.

'cycles', [3 8], 'freqs', [1 50], 'nfreqs', 50, 'timesout', 10954

The parameter 'timesout' was calculated as (418384+647616+32768-3342)/100,
which means 'Give me data point for every 100 ms given that the sliding
window length is 3342 ms. In the current parameter setting, you have data
only this much

> Generating 200 time points (418384.0 to 647616.0 ms)

About the main baseline problem, I tried to replicate your problem. Look at
my output log below, particularly the highlighted part.
Because my continuous data (naturally) start from latency 0, the output log
says 'from 0 ms before to XXX ms after the timelocking event.'
But your log says 'from 402000 ms before to  664000 ms after the
timelocking event.' I think this is related to the problem.
Does your continuous data start from latency zero? Did you try to 'epoch'
that continuous data? I recommend you prepare the continuous data so that
it starts from latency 0. Also, in EEGLAB, continuous data cannot be
handled as single-epoched data (I don't know why...)

Makoto

> figure; pop_newtimef( EEG, 0, 1, [0  1684998], [3  8] , 'topovec',
EEG.icawinv(:,1),...
    'elocs', EEG.chanlocs, 'chaninfo', EEG.chaninfo, 'caption', ['IC 1'],
'baseline',[0 3000],...
    'nfreqs', 50, 'freqs', [1 50], 'plotphase', 'off', 'padratio', 1);
Warning: 'nfreqs' input overwrite 'padratio'
Computing Event-Related Spectral Perturbation (ERSP) and
  Inter-Trial Phase Coherence (ITC) images based on 1 trials
  of 842499 frames sampled at 500 Hz.
Each trial contains samples from 0 ms before to
  1684998 ms after the timelocking event.
  Image frequency direction: normal
Using 3 cycles at lowest frequency to 8 at highest.
Generating 200 time points (1671.0 to 1683327.0 ms)
Finding closest points for time variable
Time values for time/freq decomposition is not perfectly uniformly
distributed
The window size used is 1671 samples (3342 ms) wide.
Estimating 50 linear-spaced frequencies from 1.0 Hz to 50.0 Hz.
Processing time point (of 200): 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120
 130 140 150 160 170 180 190 200
Computing the mean baseline spectrum
Warning: When plotting pvalues in totoplot, use option 'conv' to minimize
extrapolation effects
Note: Add output variables to command line call in history to
      retrieve results and use the tftopo function to replot them