[Eeglablist] Fwd: Question: Single Trial ICA Component Activations

Iversen, John jiversen at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 5 17:11:52 PDT 2018

John,

The answer is 'yes'.

For epoched data, EEG.data typically has shape [channel x sample x epoch], so, for epoch ‘e'

EEG.icaact(:,:,e) = (EEG.icaweights*EEG.icasphere)*EEG.data(EEG.icachansind,:,e)

The ICA solution does not vary with time, so the same unmixing solution is applied to every time point.

If you want to get into it, look through e.g. eeg_checkset.m, which shows how EEG.data is reshaped into a 2-d matrix [channel x (samples*epochs)] for saving:

reshape(EEG.data, EEG.nbchan,  EEG.pnts*EEG.trials);

and then when reloaded, ICA activations are recomputed on this 2-d matrix, and then put back into [channel x sample x epoch] shape:

EEG.icaact = (EEG.icaweights*EEG.icasphere)*EEG.data(EEG.icachansind,:); % automatically does single or double

EEG.icaact    = reshape( EEG.icaact, size(EEG.icaact,1), EEG.pnts, EEG.trials);

John

John R. Iversen, PhD
University of California, San Diego
Institute for Neural Computation