[Eeglablist] Poor ICA decompostion

Kelly Michaelis kcmichaelis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:07:03 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help shed some light on why I'm getting such
poor ICA decomposition and what to do about it. I've tried a number of
pipelines and methods, and each one is about this bad (The link below has
pictures of the scalp maps from two files below). I'm using a 128 channel
EGI system. Here is my pipeline:

1. Import, low pass filter at 40Hz, resample to 250Hz, high pass filter at
1Hz
2. Remove bad channels and interpolate, then re-reference to average ref
3. Epoch to 1s epochs, remove bad epochs using joint probability
4. run AMICA using PCA keep to reduce components to 128-#chans interpolated
5. Load raw data, filter same as above, resample, remove bad chans,
interpolate, re-reference
6. Apply ICA weights to continuous, pre-processed data
7. Do component rejection

What am I missing? Does anyone see any glaring errors here? My data are a
bit on the noisy side, and while I do capture things like blinks and
cardiac artifacts pretty clearly, I get the artifacts loading on a lot of
components, and I'm not getting many clear brain components. I got one
suggestion to reduce the number of components down to something like 64,
but this article by Fiorenzo, Delorme, Makeig recommends against that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kelly

Scalp maps: