[Eeglablist] Poor ICA decompostion

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 25 11:47:17 PDT 2018

Dear Kelly,

I like Marius's advice. Try 1.5Hz high-pass. Also, your data look fine with
me.

See the pictures shown here. If you screw up in copying weight matrices,
you'll NEVER know it by looking at scalp maps. You MUST check EEG.icaact
which is ICA activation on the scroll data.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Tips_for_copying_ICA_results_to_other_datasets_.2806.2F26.2F2018_updated.29

> I got one suggestion to reduce the number of components down to something
like 64, but this article by Fiorenzo, Delorme, Makeig recommends against
that.

I have been very worried that Fiorenzo's message was widely misunderstood.
He did not say using PCA is unconditionally bad. Instead, his message was
that do not use PCA to save time. PCA is a lossy compression, so you do
lose information. Also, usually up to 20 principal components explains >95%
of data, but most of the variance here is artifacts (eye blinks etc).
Although 'keeping 95% variance' is a widely-used engineering standard
practice, it does not hold for EEG.

Using PCA is TOTALLY VALID if you know you need to reduce data dimension.
There is no evidence, for example, that channel rejection is better than
PAC dimension reduction.

Makoto