[Eeglablist] Interpolate to Fix Poor Voltage Resolution for ERP analysis?

p.knytl at surrey.ac.uk p.knytl at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 04:06:44 PST 2018

Hi all,

I've made quite a bad mistake in ca. 14 EEG recordings - I recorded at 10uV resolution @ 5000 Hz instead of 0.1 uV @ 500 Hz. I'm conducting an ERP experiment, and the signals of interest are on the order of ~5-10 uV. I'm wondering if there is any way to up-sample the voltage given I have way more temporal resolution than I need..? Some sort of interpolation?
On stack overflow someone suggested using a moving average filter of a time window of 20 samples which apparently could lead to an improvement in resolution by a factor of ca. sqrt(20), and effectively reducing the sample rate to 250 Hz... but from what I've read from Luck, you want minimum 0.25 uV resolution for ERP studies so I'm not sure this will help... before I go down the rabbit hole I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a situation like this, has any advice, or anything that worked well for them in the past.

Obviously the situation is far from idea, but this represents about 42 hours of recording time and I'm anxious to know if I can recover any usable data from these recordings (there is a treatment enrolment deadline which means I can't simply acquire more data). Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Paul Knytl