[Eeglablist] 50 Hz Removal

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 5 09:57:49 PST 2018

Dear Fabio,

> even though I band-pass filter 2-45 Hz, it does not remove the 50Hz.

Even if you set your cutoff frequency at 45 Hz, if the transition band
width is 20 Hz, it would not suppress 50 Hz very well! Check what EEGLAB
filter does--at 45 Hz, it specifies the pass-band edge. I don't know if it
guarantees maximum suppression at 50 Hz. Maybe you want to check your
filter parameters.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Firfilt_FAQ

To suppress line noise,

   1. Apply CleanLine. https://www.nitrc.org/projects/cleanline/
   2. If CleanLine does not work (see
   https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Remove_line_noise_using_CleanLine_.2805.2F17.2F2018_Updated.29),
   apply either notch filter at 50 Hz or low-pass filter before 50 Hz.

Makoto