[Eeglablist] CSP in EEGLAB

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 2 23:00:53 PST 2019

I know of custom solutions. There is custom CSP code in the paper below

Delorme, A., Kothe, C., Bigdely, N., Vankov, A., Oostenveld, R., Makeig, S. (2010) Matlab Tools for BCI Research? In "human-computer interaction and brain-computer interfaces". Editors : Tan, D. and Nijholt, A. Springer Publishing.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/~arno/mypapers/Delorme_BCITools10.pdf

Then there is some code on the Matlab Exchange site

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/22915-common-spatial-patterns

I have tried with this dataset (https://sccn.ucsd.edu/mediawiki/images/5/59/SimpleOddball.zip) to run CSP on oddball versus standard trials and the simple code below.

EEG = pop_loadset('filename','SimpleOddball.set');
TMPEEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, 'locutoff',1,'hicutoff',45);
EEG1 = pop_epoch( TMPEEG, {  '1'  }, [0 1], 'newname', 'Standard epochs', 'epochinfo', 'yes');
EEG2 = pop_epoch( TMPEEG, {  '2'  }, [0 1], 'newname', 'Oddball epochs', 'epochinfo', 'yes');

cov1 = cov(EEG1.data(:,:)');
cov2 = cov(EEG2.data(:,:)');
[V,D] = eig(cov1,cov1+cov2);
figure; topoplot(V(:,1), EEG.chanlocs);
figure; topoplot(V(:,end), EEG.chanlocs);

First and last CSP available at https://sccn.ucsd.edu/mediawiki/images/6/65/CSP.png
First and last CSP are usually the most discriminant. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Herbert_Ramoser/publication/12127239_Optimal_Spatial_Filtering_of_Single_Trial_EEG_During_Imagined_Hand_Movement/links/57c6993808ae9d64047d332d/Optimal-Spatial-Filtering-of-Single-Trial-EEG-During-Imagined-Hand-Movement.pdf

Since the data has not been cleaned, these components are still likely to be dominated by noise. Comments by expert CSP users are welcome.

Best wishes,

Arno