[Eeglablist] (no subject)

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:35:15 PST 2019

Hi Sam, notes below, best wishes.

One can do these steps and more in eeglab.
There are extensive learning resources (video, ppt, tutorial, all googlable),
and you can do most steps via gui.

For newcomers to eeglab, makoto's extensive recommendations are useful, see:
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline

Consider reviewing the methods from a few published high quality
articles for deciding about epochs/averaging of spectra, easy to find
via google scholar. For time-frequency for beginners check out Mike X
Cohen's excellent book on TimeFrequency Analyses
including his online powerpoints and videos.

If you are interested in QEEG, your best bet is to go with published
methods from most reputable journals as you can find.
Power ratios are used in various research areas with EEG, google
scholar is great for searching for good examples of current methods.
Of course, general caveat about possible quality/validity issues with
a sparse consumer EEG system.

Regarding your data length, it should be closer to 2-3 minutes
(somewhat of a minimum length for resting EEG conditions)
Epochs are usually broken in to ~2-3 second segments (depends on
lowest frequency you want to estimate).
If you need to work with only 30 sec of data, try first to find
similar published methods that you can emulate.

If you google eeglablist+ a topic of your choice you can see many
similar questions and extensive answers.
For example, googling "eeglab compute power spectrum" gave this as one
of the following links:
Chapter 03: Plotting Channel Spectra and Maps - SCCN
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_03:_Plotting_Channel_Spectra_and_Maps

You may also be interested in exploring the wide array of EEG analysis
softwares summarized here, dated but useful:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/cin/si/138743/

Of possible interest: