[Eeglablist] problem with PSD unit coversion

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 4 09:21:05 PDT 2019

Dear Magda,

> If I understand the concept right - the output of spectopo gives me PSD in 10*log10(mv^2/Hz). As I wanted to get rid of log transformation I simply took my matrix and did the math: 10.^(x/10), so that my current data unit is (mv^2/Hz). Am I correct?

This is correct.

> But - something went terribly wrong. My results literally flipped after conversion. Stats look like from different data set…

Bootstrap/permutation and rank stats should be the very similar (in case of rank identical). Normal stats (t-test and Anova) will indeed be very different because of the normality assumption and the fact that the probability distribution of the data is different (my take is that log is much more correct in most cases, because with log the distribution is less skewed and closer to normal). If the result flipped it could be due to outlier so it would be better to use robust statistics (Bootstrap/permutation) if possible with trimmed means for the estimator (Bootstrap/permutation is available in EEGLAB but the trimmed mean version is only available in Limo).

Best wishes,

Arno