[Eeglablist] is there pca in eeglab

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 19 21:34:47 PDT 2019

Hi Joseph,

I have had a look at your paper, and, correct me if I am wrong, it seems that all of your simulations assume that the true ERP is hidden in background EEG noise. Scott’s 2002 paper (Makeig S, Westerfield M, Jung T-P, Enghoff S, Townsend J, Courchesne E, Sejnowski TJ. Dynamic brain sources of visual evoked responses. Science, 295:690-694) showed that ERPs often arise from phase synchronization in different trials - and true ERPs are rarely observed. For some of the ERP, the inter-trial reliability (as measure using inter-trial coherence) can be as low as 0.1 (N400) and even P300 rarely goes above 0.5 (1 would be a true ERP as in your simulations). I would therefore argue that your simulations might not reflect true EEG/ERP activity.

I think a test that would convince me of the superiority of PCA over ICA in the time domain would be to extract P300 components (in the temporal domain), and assess how many trials are needed to reach significance when using each method as in Kappenman and Luck article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20374541.

Cheers,

Arno