[Eeglablist] Fwd: SIFT toolbox

Matt Gerhold matt.gerhold at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 05:09:39 PDT 2019

If the residuals aren't white, that means not all the information in the
timeseries has been absorbed into the coefficient matrix.

In terms of the math, if you look at the equations for the VAR model, the
modelling procedure should extract the coefficient matrices upto a given
lag/model order, added to this is a noise component. The noise component is
by definition, gaussian and white: all the observations are independent
from each other, across time and across channels. So, if you have
successfully modelled the data, then the residuals should be white. If you
have one or two models across time that don't fit this, i.e. 96.5% of
models are white, then that is alright as well.

So, you have to go back to the pre-processing stage and tend to your
datasets to ensure you get all the information out of the data and into the
model coefficients. It all has to do with careful pre-processing. They are
not the easiest models to fit, so you have to proceed with a certain level
of determination.