[Eeglablist] Fwd: SIFT toolbox

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 11 17:00:29 PDT 2019

Dear Akiterini and Matt,

I found an error in SIFT model order validation part. The SIFT function and
the SIFT manual uses [number of channels/component]^2 in the numerator, but
according to the original references it is NOT square. I mentioned it in my
wiki page. See step 18. I have already talked to Tim, and he said he would
do something for this soon.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Dependency_across_the_preprocessing_stages_.2807.2F05.2F2019_updated.29

Makoto

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 6:59 AM AIKATERINI LYMPERIDOU <
med1p1040133 at med.uoc.gr> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your time and your answer!
> That was really helpful for me!
>

> Quoting Matt Gerhold <matt.gerhold at gmail.com>:
>
> > If the residuals aren't white, that means not all the information in the
> > timeseries has been absorbed into the coefficient matrix.
> >

> > In terms of the math, if you look at the equations for the VAR model, the
> > modelling procedure should extract the coefficient matrices upto a given
> > lag/model order, added to this is a noise component. The noise component
> is
> > by definition, gaussian and white: all the observations are independent
> > from each other, across time and across channels. So, if you have
> > successfully modelled the data, then the residuals should be white. If
> you
> > have one or two models across time that don't fit this, i.e. 96.5% of
> > models are white, then that is alright as well.
> >

> > So, you have to go back to the pre-processing stage and tend to your
> > datasets to ensure you get all the information out of the data and into
> the
> > model coefficients. It all has to do with careful pre-processing. They
> are
> > not the easiest models to fit, so you have to proceed with a certain
> level
> > of determination.
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 1:52 PM AIKATERINI LYMPERIDOU <
> > med1p1040133 at med.uoc.gr> wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you for the answer Matthew.
> >>
> >> The thing is that my model pass the "percent consistency test" and the
> >> "stability index test" but did not pass the "Residual whiteness test".
> >> Is that an important issue as well?

> >> request

> >> applied
> Often,
> >> order

> analysis

> if

> release.
> >> Use
> release.
> >> Use

> >> happening.

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience