[Eeglablist] Effect of pass band on ICA learning rate

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 11 11:59:20 PDT 2019

Dear David,

There was a paper explicitly investigating the effect of high-pass filter
on ICA results. Note that Stefan Debener used to work with Scott Makeig.

https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#High-pass_filter_the_data_at_1-Hz_.28for_ICA.2C_ASR.2C_and_CleanLine.29.2808.2F17.2F2018_updated.29

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281290619_On_the_influence_of_high-pass_filtering_on_ICA-based_artifact_reduction_in_EEG-ERP

Makoto

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 9:59 AM Clement Lee <cll008 at eng.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'm not an expert but I've heard that ICA is biased towards low-frequencies
> and high-amplitudes. This discussion from last year
> <https://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2018/013944.html> may be more
> helpful.
>
> Best,
> Clement Lee
> Applications Programmer
> Institute for Neural Computation, UC San Diego
> 858-822-7535
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 2:44 PM Clement Lee <cll008 at eng.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I'm not an expert but I've heard that ICA is biased towards
> > low-frequencies and high-amplitudes. This discussion from last year
> > <https://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2018/013944.html> may be
> more
> > helpful.
> >
> > Best,
> > Clement Lee
> > Applications Programmer
> > Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience
> > Institute for Neural Computation, UC San Diego
> > 858-822-7535
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 1:24 AM Jenson, David Evans <david.jenson at wsu.edu
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> EEGLABers
> >>
> >> I filtered a dataset today from 3-30 Hz and ran ICA, only for the
> >> learning rate to lower several times (restarting the step count each
> time)
> >> before finally continuing with decomposition.  However, when processing
> the
> >> same dataset with a wider pass-band (1-40 Hz), ICA proceeds as normal
> >> without lowering the learning rate and starting over.
> >>
> >> Is anyone able to:
> >>
> >> 1: confirm a relationship between with of the pass-band of a filter and
> >> this learning rate issue with ICA?
> >>
> >> 2: explain the nature of said relationship?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> David Jenson
> >> Assistant Professor
> >> Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
> >> o: 509-368-6913 | <mailto:david.jenson at wsu.edu> david.jenson at wsu.edu
> >> <mailto:david.jenson at wsu.edu><mailto:linda.gallup at wsu.edu>

> >> For digest mode, send an email with the subject "set digest mime" to
> >> eeglablist-request at sccn.ucsd.edu

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience