[Eeglablist] ERSP : activity systematically shifted at t=0

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 11 13:03:30 PDT 2019

Dear Nabil,

The figure you uploaded here https://imgur.com/dM28D4A strongly suggests
the presence of impulse-like artifact before 0 ms and after 100 ms.
This may be present only in one of the trials in high amplitude--so you
want to check all the trials carefully.

If you find the impulse is present at the fixed latency, then you have a
good hope. You can use this tool to repair your data. This is the solution
I wrote for simultaneous EEG-TMS to interpolate short-duration TMS artifact
frames by using ARfit model.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/ARfitStudio

You should provide us more systematic info for better solutions though.
What was the task? What's the likely source of such impulse-like artifact?
etc.

Makoto

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:59 AM Alibou Nabil William Jean-Pierre <
nabil.alibou at epfl.ch> wrote:

> Hi Clement,
> Thanks you for your response ! what is disturbing is that even with a
> pre-stimulus baseline (i tested a lot of different baseline) and a erp
> image which seems "normal" to me:
> https://imgur.com/u7PHgW4
>
> I have an enormous activity (the values in the output ersp array are
> extreme compared to other) at t = 0s and if i replace the data around 0 by
> the data before i will have this :
>
> https://imgur.com/dM28D4A
> The peak of activity will surprisingly shift even more like this (i tried
> to replace even a bigger part around t = 0s and still have this phenomenon).
> Finally, i test to only plotted a part ([-200 100] ms) of my epoch
> originally equal to [-250 500] ms and the activity won't be anymore around
> t = 0s but 'graphically' at the same localisation !
> => picture which shows this : https://imgur.com/q0y2HEb
>
> Is my eeglab haunted ?
>

> Best,
>
> Nabil

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience