[Eeglablist] reg_notch filter

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 20 18:07:36 PDT 2019

Dear Saraswati,

> My query is whether it's normal to have such deflection once notch is
applied or are we going wrong with the process.

Yes it's normal. Notch filter is designed to do so. This weird deep hole in
the frequency domain does not affect your data much as long as you stick to
ERP waveform analysis. It also works with ERSP, as it is a measure to
compute the power ratio between baseline period and outside baseline. ITC
probably may not work well. For granger causality you will definitely have
problems as you need to use longer model order.

Makoto

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 11:55 PM Saraswati Yadav <saraswati.y at cbcs.ac.in>
wrote:

> Dear All,
> In our study of resting continuous EEG , we have applied a high pass of 1Hz
> and low pass of 100Hz with a notch at 50 using EEGLAB version 2019. After
> creating study we had done the analysis using parametric test as there was
> two groups. What is that is bothering us is presence of downward peak at 50
> Hz in the PSD graphs.
> Please find a picture of one electrode.
> My query is whether it's normal to have such deflection once notch is
> applied or are we going wrong with the process. Please Note: We have
> followed Makoto's preprocessing pipeline with slight modification of
> epoching after running ICA.
>

> Thanks & Regards
>
> --
> Dr.Saraswati Yadav
> Post Doctoral Fellow
> Centre of Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences
> University of Allahabad
> India

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience