[Eeglablist] ICA component variance explained

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 20 19:20:11 PDT 2019

Dear Ugo,

Sorry I don't know what the original question was, but the script seems to
be related to the plugin pvaftopo(). I advised Luca to include this measure
when he designed the plots. Because I worked on envtopo() functions a lot,
I was used to relate IC sources-channel variance.
If you are interested in, please also try/read pvaftopo() plugin. The main
function has only three lines (by the way the first line does not seem
necessary... should be made into two lines) See below.

% compute pvaftopo
outTopo  = zeros(EEG.nbchan,length(IC));
backProj =
EEG.icawinv(:,IC)*eeg_getdatact(EEG,'component',IC,'reshape','2d');
outTopo  = 100-100*var(EEG.data(:,:)-backProj,0,2)./var(EEG.data(:,:),0,2);

Makoto

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 11:55 PM Bruzadin Nunes, Ugo <ugob at siu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking for the answer to your question on EEGLAB listserv from
> March 2019 and found out that the answer was a little more complicated that
> find "just a variable". I don't know how to respond to an old list-serv
> email, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong way.
>
> In any case, I wrote/modified the code from pop_prop_extended() from
> viewprop. You can copy and paste this snip within a code of your own in a
> pipeline or in a separate script  and run it once the data is loaded via
> EEGLAB. This code basically calculates the percentage of explained variable
> as it is done in IClabel and makes into a variable called finalList in
> order of component number. You can call that variable from a separate code
> then, instead of having to modify the original script (which was the thing
> was going to do).
>
> I also don't know the proper etiquette for modifying people's codes, so
> this is my best attempt. Hope it helps!!!
>
> %%% This code was adapted from pop_prop_extended() originally from Luca
> %%% Pion-Tonachini (2017) from the EEGLAB plugin ViewProps
> %%% It was snipped and modified by Ugo Bruzadin Nunes, M.A., with
> collaboration with Matthew Gunn at
> %%% the INL lab at SIU - C to fit our pipeline purposes
> % This is a GNU copyrighted content for free distribution only
>
> temporaryList = {}
> finalList = []
> EEG.icaact = (EEG.icaweights*EEG.icasphere)*EEG.data(EEG.icachansind,:);
>
>     chanorcomp = size(EEG.icaweights,1);
>     for i=1:chanorcomp
>
>         icaacttmp = EEG.icaact(i, :, :);
>         maxsamp = 1e6;
>         n_samp = min(maxsamp, EEG.pnts*EEG.trials);
>         try
>             samp_ind = randperm(EEG.pnts*EEG.trials, n_samp);
>         catch
>             samp_ind = randperm(EEG.pnts*EEG.trials);
>             samp_ind = samp_ind(1:n_samp);
>         end
>         if ~isempty(EEG.icachansind)
>             icachansind = EEG.icachansind;
>         else
>             icachansind = 1:EEG.nbchan;
>         end
>         datavar = mean(var(EEG.data(icachansind, samp_ind), [], 2));
>         projvar = mean(var(EEG.data(icachansind, samp_ind) - ...
>         EEG.icawinv(:, i) * icaacttmp(1, samp_ind), [], 2))
>         pvafval = 100 *(1 - projvar/ datavar);
>         pvaf = num2str(pvafval, '%3.1f')
>         temporaryList = {pvaf};
>         finalList = cat(1, finalList, temporaryList);
>     end
> Best wishes,
>
> Ugo Bruzadin Nunes, M.A. & Doctoral Candidate
> PSYC 222 Instructor - Effects of Recreational Drugs
> Brain and Cognitive Sciences Ph.D Program ||
> School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
> Southern Illinois University - Carbondale

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience