[Eeglablist] ICLabel: "source" explanation of "channel noise" independent components in the absence of obviously bad data?

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 31 20:40:43 PST 2019

Scott -  I'd need to know how much of the seeming-good channel data are
accounted for by the suggested 'channel-noise' IC?  Only a small % ... ?

Happy New Year

Scott

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 10:14 PM Scott Burwell <burwell at umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been testing the ICLabel plug-in on some data (very cool!) and I am
> curious as to the  "source" explanation of independent components
> classified as "channel noise." For the most other classifications, the
> source explanation is clear to me (e.g., brain~synchronous postsynaptic
> potentials, muscle~EMG, eye~VEO/HEO/blink movements, etc.), but I am a bit
> confused as to how one might explain an independent component that reflects
> a single channel when the channel data itself appears pretty clean? What is
> the source of the "noise" that's left over in that channel after the
> projections from other brain and non-brain sources have been subtracted?
>
> For peace of mind, the ICA decompositions appear very good and were
> calculated using "recommended" conditions (i.e., bad channels and bad time
> segments deleted, average-referenced, 1.0 Hz high-pass filter, full-rank
> data).
>
> Best,
> Scott
>
> --
> Scott J. Burwell, PhD
> NIDA T32 Postdoctoral Research Fellow
> Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
> University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
> burwell at umn.edu
> github.com/sjburwell

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0961, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott