[Eeglablist] ICLabel: "source" explanation of "channel noise" independent components in the absence of obviously bad data?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 7 14:06:29 PST 2020

Dear Scott,

> I think the absolute number of brain components may be closer than the
percentages initially suggest, my 37% of a 61-channel montage (~23
components) versus your 52% of a 40-channel montage (~21 components).

I agree with you. If you are interested, please read my recent thinking
below.

I have been speaking of 'EEG's true degrees of freedom' which is 10-20,
regardless of the number of channels (to certain degrees, of course). See
my recent talk here, I talked about it in the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyZxt2WeKk&t=1256s

When I ran the same simple test on ECoG data, 95% PC was obtained by 78/137
components.

The reason why EEG's true DOF is limited is NOT ONLY because of massive
smearing (i.e., spatial averaging) BUT ALSO scalp-recorded
EEG's requirement that the active cortical patch size must be minimum 1
square inch (Nunez and Srinivasan, 2006; Cooper et al., 1965; Ebersole et
al., 1997). I called this thinking 'electroencephalosophy' which is to
consider the limiting conditions of EEG.

Makoto