[Eeglablist] ASR parameters for adults vs. kids/clinical populations

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 21 11:36:30 PST 2020

Dear Anna,

>I am using ASR to clean EEG data and am wondering if anyone recommends
using different parameter values in the ASR function for adult data (i.e.
relatively clean) vs. kid/clinical data (relatively messy).

For the recommended parameters, see these papers.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Artifact_Subspace_Reconstruction_(ASR)#Reference_.2809.2F11.2F2019_update.29

>Is it possible also for ASR to "overclean" data from a dataset that is
originally pretty
good?

Generally speaking, ASR tend to cut a lot. The point of the very lax
criteria (>> 10) recommended in the abovelinked papers is to adjust the
amount of cutting.

Basically, for standard data use 20 all the time. For messy data, use
10-20. For my chronic tic patient's data (subjects were ticing and blinking
during EEG recording), I used 6-8. See Loo et al. (2019) NeuroImage
Clinical.

Makoto