[Eeglablist] Weird Patterns in the Data: Bad Power or Ground?

Nathan Sanders nesander at ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 27 09:49:07 PST 2020

Hey Malte,

Thanks so much for responding! It feels like I have just been thrown a
lifeline.

First, here are some pictures. This <https://imgur.com/ZGQqano> is 64
channel data after filtering but before re-referencing to average. Here
<https://imgur.com/HRW4S0T>'s how it looks after you re-reference it. See
how the channels are grouped in 4s? Those channels (1-4, 5-8, etc)
correspond to the A, B, C, and D blocks on each amp. That's what led me to
suspect a ground issue, like maybe these independent blocks which are
supposed to be referenced to the same ground potential actually are not
(Actually I am not quite sure how the electronics are connected under the
hood). Also, the data turns out to be nonsense. I have also had a
coincidental experience similar to yours -- I can get good data from a
single 16-channel amp, but if I bridge the ground connections with a jumper
cable to another amp which is turned on, then the data goes flat. To answer
some of your other questions:

The g.USBamp seems to have 4 ground connectors, so with 4 amps you have 16
> ground connectors... Do you have all of those connected to the subject?

Someone from g.tec told me to just connect the ground connections on the D
blocks together, and someone else in my lab told me to just connect the A
blocks together. You're saying maybe I should connect them all? I can try
that. I guess normally the subject would be grounded via the ground
electrode that is connected to the master gamma.box which is in turn
connected to the master amplifier, whose ground connection is connected to
the other 3 amplifiers via the jumper cable in the D block.

The reason for this: g.Tec hardware gets exremly picky if one electrode
> fails.

You're saying that this could be a result of a bad electrode?

I will take your advice and read that wiki article. I am going to try
setting up the system in another room (connected to a different circuit
breaker) and try your suggestions regarding grounding. Again, thank you so
much for taking the time to help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Nathan