[Eeglablist] STUDY design - to split or not to split by condition?

Fran Copelli fcopelli at ryerson.ca
Tue Jan 28 11:24:37 PST 2020

Hi all,

My understanding is that splitting participant .sets into conditions is an
outdated approach when creating a STUDY file.

Despite this, I cannot find clear instructions on how to create a STUDY
file with the participant .sets intact. Obviously I can just import the
.sets, but these still include all conditions. How do I let EEGLAB know
what the separate conditions are, and which epochs are within them? (Note
that in 'study info' there is a 'condition' box, but it is directly linked
to the .set and there appears to be no way to specify multiple conditions).

It appears that even the EEGLAB wiki is outdated — in the example images,
you'll see that each participant has 2 sets (S253 & S254)
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_02:_STUDY_Creation, 4th screenshot down.

If the new approach is to create a STUDY file with the original .sets still
intact, then can someone provide instructions on how to declare the
separate conditions at the STUDY creation/design phase?

Fran

SMART Lab, Psychology Department