[Eeglablist] Reference Biosemi's electrode and ICA decomposition

Nastassja Lopes Fischer fasnlf at nus.edu.sg
Wed Jan 29 03:32:45 PST 2020

Hi all!

I have a question regarding the referencing electrode. I noticed that the initial reference electrode I assign when I import the .bdf files to EEGLAB influences significantly the ICA decomposition later on, even when I perform the common average re-referencing (before ICA). Therefore, it impacts artifact rejection. Have anyone experienced this effect? Would anyone know why it happens? And what reference electrode would be recommended to use (given the fact mastoid electrodes are quite noisy in some subjects because of head movement issues)?

Sorry if the question is too obvious, but I could not find a previous explanation for what I am facing.

Best regards,

Nastassja

Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.