[Eeglablist] Hardware recommendations

Malte Anders malteanders at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 04:12:32 PST 2020

Dear Makoto and Dear EEGLAB List,

I am still having trouble finding the right settings for ERSP.
My test data set is - for preprocessing - only highpass filtered at 1 Hz
(and a small amount of ASR).

I now call pop_newtimef() with the following settings:
Epoch -1 to 2 seconds as recommended
Cycles 3 0.5

In the first test, I set Frequency limits to [3 40] (or 'freqs', [3 40].
This gives me a good plot that shows ERSP roughly between 3 Hz and 40 Hz:
https://imgur.com/ldviMsZ
In the second test, the only thing I change is Frequency limits to [3 80]
(or 'freqs', [3 80]). The resulting plot cuts off quite a few amount of
data and only plots ERSP roughly between 6 Hz and 80 Hz:
https://imgur.com/sQnAqvD

I actually wanna see ERSP between 1 Hz and 80 Hz. However, the more I
increase the number of the highest frequency (e.g. 40 Hz to 80 Hz), the
more is cut off in the lower frequency range. I don't even get down to 1 Hz
with 'freqs', [3 40]. Setting  'freqs', [1 40] results in an error: Not
enough data points, reduce the window size or lowest frequency.
The bad thing is that I do need especially the lower frequencies (1 - 12 Hz
would be perfect) and the higher gamma frequencies between 40 and 80 Hz

I have dug into the available documentation, from my understanding setting
freqs to [3 40] and wavelet cycles to [3 0.5] should result in 1 Hz being
the lowest frequency analyzed, but in this case the plot is cut off at 3
Hz. Those are the settings: https://imgur.com/q8jcAss, resulting in the
picture above ( https://imgur.com/sQnAqvD ) where crucial info below 5-6 Hz
is simply cut off in the plot...

Anybody can shed some light onto what I need to change?

Thanks!

Malte

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Malte Anders