[Eeglablist] Proper methods for endogenous ERPs

Beach, Paul Anthony paul.anthony.beach at emory.edu
Thu Feb 27 08:16:34 PST 2020

All,

I’m curious about proper technical methods for analyzing an endogenous ERP, the heartbeat evoked potential (HEP). So far, to measure the HEP, I’m using ERPLAB after labeling R wave and T wave peaks on files containing simultaneous post-processed (prior to ICA) EEG/EKG. One can measure HEPs time-locked to either the R or T wave and I was interested in examining both in patient v control groups.

My question is, at the single-subject level:
1) Is it appropriate to analyze R and T-wave related HEPs by making one file containing both R & T-wave labeled events, with subsequent extraction of event-based epochs and ERP computation from there
Or
2) Is it more appropriate to create separate files (one with labeled R wave events, another with T wave events) and THEN create event-based epochs to measure the HEP for each?

Sorry if this is a rather simple ERP-related question. I’m an eeglab/ERP novice.

Thanks!
Paul
--
Paul Beach DO, PhD