[Eeglablist] segmenting resting-state EEG data to use in spectopo. Why segmenting?

Neeraj Sharma neerajww at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:23:11 PST 2020

Hi Ana,

May be the following can help you.
1.  Why do we average? There may be spurious activity in some segments
hence averaging several segments and obtaining the confidence interval
helps.

2. Why do we segment? Generally segmentation is done such that that there
is an event of interest in each segment, and analyzing several
event-synchronized segments helps to understand the event-evoked activity.
A simple example is by averaging the segments. In resting state EEG there
is no external event. Hence, you are free to choose segments any way. As
you are interested in alpha wave analysis so the segment duration should be
such that it covers few cycles of alpha wave (and also theta wave).

3. Should you take the whole  duration of recording as one segment? You can
but then you wont get to obtain any confidence interval (or standard
deviation) for the estimate. Any spurious activity will average out but you
will never know how frequent the spurious activity would have been.  So, in
short, better to segment in something like 1 min segments.

Cheers,
Neeraj