[Eeglablist] ReSync plugin for correcting ERP distortion due to latency jitter

Guang Ouyang guang.ouyang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:34:40 PST 2020

Hi, EEGers,

my EEGLAB plugin ReSync was just newly listed in the latest EEGLAB toolbox.
I would like to advertise ReSync by concisely describing it here.

Due to various reasons, ERP components in single trials are not
synchronized with respect the events, e.g., stimulus onsets. This is
usually referred to as latency jitter. The later ERP components have
stronger jitter (usually associated with RT), the earlier ones have less
jitter. Due to the jitter, average ERP is a blurred representation of
neural activation at single trials. To address this issue, we need to
decompose ERP into different sub-components with different degrees of
jitter, and re-synchronize each one of them separately, in order to
re-construct a jitter-corrected ERP waveform. ReSync does that by a
decomposition and reconstruction procedure. ReSync can separately correct
different ERP components by simply specifying the time window(s). The final
outcome of ReSync is simply an ERP that is jitter-corrected, with exactly
the same format as standard ERP, thus facilitating all sub-subsequent
statistical analysis. A demonstration of ReSync for correcting one late
component can be seen from this fig:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/guangouyang/ReSync/master/ReSync1.0/documentation/ReSync_illu.jpg

It can also be applied to correct multiple components. More details of
ReSync can be found from https://psyarxiv.com/kdqfu/
or https://github.com/guangouyang/ReSync

Thank you for your attention!

Dr. Guang Ouyang