[Eeglablist] ICA / ICLabel Pipeline Questions

Tom Bullock thomas.bullock at psych.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 6 15:07:42 PST 2020

Hi Clement

Thank you for your responses!

1) If I do use a hard threshold for IC Label rejection of components, is there any consensus on what that threshold should be, or how to determine it?  One downside is if none of the IC components meet the threshold (e.g. I set the inclusion criteria as >80% brain and I have several components that are ~75% brain) then I would have to either reject the participant or lower the threshold for everyone.  One possible alternative might be to obtain a distribution of “brain” component classification scores from each participant and then include, say, the top 5% highest scoring “brain” components.  This approach would still require the application of a threshold, but would be more data driven.

2) I have installed AMICA for EEGLAB and am able to run AMICA successfully.  I’m running EEGLAB v2019.1 and I installed AMICA v1.5.1 and RELICA v1.0 via the plugins menu, so I believe everything is up to date.  When I open RELICA via the EEGLAB gui, I only see options for “beamica”, “runica” or “picard”…no AMICA.

3) Thanks for the suggestion that filtering EMG before ICA might be advantageous.  Another user suggested I low-pass filter at 50 Hz prior to ICA, because low-pass filtering at 30 Hz would make it hard to identify EMG.  I’ll try this and see how the decompositions turn out.

Best

Tom Bullock, PhD

Project Scientist,
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences,
University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tom_Bullock2
www.linkedin.com/in/tomwbullock