[Eeglablist] cz/cpz reference

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 10 14:22:30 PDT 2020

Dear Brian,

I discussed your case with Clement.
Let me sort out points here.

1. Data matrix in EEGLAB (i.e., EEG.data) usually does not contain
zero-filled channels--which means it only contains non-reference channels.
2. EEGLAB can store reference info, and when it does, it is stored as 'ref'
in EEG.chanlocs.ref just by name.
3. I updated reference-reated facts in this page just a week ago
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Why_should_we_add_zero-filled_channel_before_average_referencing.3F_.2803.2F04.2F2020_Updated.29
In the past communication you cited from 2016 I found my comments, but
please refer to the wiki page linked above for the most updated info.

In re-referencing, the most important thing you want to confirm is that
after you re-reference to a new electrode, re-reference back to the
original to see if that recovered the same result. If it does not,
something is wrong.

Makoto