[Eeglablist] Understanding newtimef

Malte Anders malteanders at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 03:09:23 PDT 2020

Dear all,

I have two questions regarding newtimef-function:

a) Consider that I have 5 epochs from -1 two 2 seconds each (standard
settings). I understand that when I leave the "baseline" setting blank, -1
to 0 seconds is used as baseline, thus, the image output will show me the
change in dB from the point of interest vs. the declared baseline.

If that is the case: why do I see changes in spectral power also in my
baseline? In other words: newtimef's plot output also shows spectral
changes from around -500 ms to 0 s, that are not equal to zero. In fact, a
lot is going on there sometimes. Shouldn't baseline minus baseline be zero?

b) If I have extracted those 5 epochs and I select Plot > Time frequency
transforms > Channel time-frequency, does this give me the mean of those 5
epochs? Is there a setting to _not_ get the mean and see the result for
each epoch individually?

Thank you all and stay safe!
Malte