[Eeglablist] How much data is necessary for ICA?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Sat May 9 11:33:20 PDT 2020

Dear Dana and John,

Since higher frequency ranges in scalp-recorded EEG data does not have much
power (due to 1/f PSD) nor information, I recommend you use the 'rule of
thumb' that John showed with additional assumption that your sampling rate
is around 250 Hz so that up to 250/2 Hz data are taken into account as
significant data part.

If you apply this change to the formula, the answer is updated as follows

128^2*30/256/60 = 32 minutes minimum

This is a soft limit as the factor 30 could be 20 according to several
papers by Onton and Makeig. If you use 20, then it'll be around 20 min.

Makoto