[Eeglablist] Data rank and ICA results

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 6 09:54:06 PDT 2020

Dear Shiva,

> I also have another question, I am going to use ASR to correct
larg artifacts in my continuous signal but I don't want to reject any data
point.
My question is using ASR (with SD=20) lead to eye blink correction most of
the time. Is this procedure good for the proceeding AMICA which I always
use to reject eye blinks or not? which one is more correct for eye blink
rejection?

It is definitely better to use ICA to reject eye blink artifacts.
However, because ICA is a stationary method, it can be easily confused by,
for example, a short-duration high-amplitude artifact that is never
repeated.
ASR is good at removing such a sporadic type of artifact which ICA can
never decompose. It is because ASR is a non-stationary method using a
sliding window.
So ASR is ideal for a preprocessing for ICA. ASR's non-stationary nature
complements ICA well.

Makoto