[Eeglablist] Preprocessing - Doubts regarding filtering and removing line noise

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 9 13:19:33 PDT 2020

Dear Katia,

> a) If my low pass filter is set to 45 Hz, do I still need to try and
remove
the line noise (clean line)?  As far as I understand line noise is usually
at a higher frequency, so does it mean that my filter will have taken care
of it already, or am I confusing things?

If your power line frequency is at 60 Hz, No.
If 50 Hz, you may want to design your filter such that it has good
suppression at 50 Hz--then no need to deal with line frequency artifact.
See the following page to learn how to design a good filter. It is quite
easy!
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Firfilt_FAQ

> b) Is it correct that it is good practice to apply a low and high filter
in
two separate steps? I am sure that I read that somewhere, but I cannot find
it anymore and, assuming I haven't dreamt it, I cannot remember what the
reasoning was.

Often yes.
If you apply 1-Hz transition band width for 1-Hz high-pass filter, the
transition band width is 0.5-1.5 Hz.
However, if you do the same for 45 Hz, it will be 44.5-45.5 Hz, which is
quite steep.

Do you still wonder why? Compare the following examples. They are both
1-octave range.
1-2Hz
40-80Hz

> c) Also, more curious than anything: the first thing I did in the
preprocessing (after assigning channel locations) was to downsample to
250Hz. If I then filter out everything above 45Hz anyway, is downsampling
even necessary?

Good point!
When downsampling the signal to 250 Hz, the antialiasing filter (that is
automatically taken care of in using Matlab) is usually at around 250/2 =
125 Hz.
However, sometimes people apply 250/3, 250/4, and even 250/5 Hz. This is
called oversampling.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling__;!!Mih3wA!RWcRClOnux3iEU3Ouy8C9bLsI92LZQmtqpCZchPqxFBh3yZTWYjFN6r6ITRb4GIGUohQYA$
What's so good about oversampling? You will certainly have better phase
resolution near the highest frequency range available. Otherwise... a good
placebo effect?

Makoto