[Eeglablist] Different methods to automatically remove faulty channels

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 9 14:37:36 PDT 2020

Dear Katia,

You found the hidden truth in the EEG data cleaning?
Welcome to the club.

Regarding EEGLAB's old epoch rejection functions, their performance is ok.
I recommend you apply
1. simple amplitude thresholding (+/- 1000 etc) to remove outliers.
2. After rejecting the epochs, improbability test again for the second
rejection.
so that your stat calculated is not affected by outliers.

> Which method should I trust?

If you make yourself comfortable with it, I still recommend clean_rawdata()
with ASR on the continuous data.
There are now many related publications.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Artifact_Subspace_Reconstruction_(ASR)#Reference_.2807.2F09.2F2020_update.29

Also, just recently I found that the ASR algorithm seems basically the same
as popular data imputation methods as as this one
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320015038_Missing_Data_Imputation_Toolbox_for_MATLA__;!!Mih3wA!XQ2QKItWaeupyKuQ4G_kEyLhS3nWWjrVXAEd4U75tX-N0srsUtKOk7AHlLq2Kc5VidJ8Hg$

Makoto