[Eeglablist] Questions about Permutation and Paired t test

Delorme, Arnaud adelorme at ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 19 16:44:16 PDT 2020

Dear Zaeem,

>> Second Q: Why do we mean the data of each condition first and then make
> statistical comparisons? Shouldn't the subject/components be permuted
> across conditions?
>
> You are right.

Yes, as Makoto said, you do not want to average the data for each condition before computing statistics. If you do not perform the average, you are correct in saying that the same process is performed in std_erspplot.

>> Third Q: I have read the tutorial and article on cluster based
> permutation testing in Fieldtrip. Is EEGLAB's permutation testing similar
> to that?
>
> I have never used the cluster-based test you mentioned. EEGLAB itself does
> not support cluster-based test. It is only available as Fieldtrip's option.

Yes, EEGLAB is using Fieldtrip implementation for the cluster based correction for multiple comparisons. Whichever Fieldtrip version you have downloaded in the EEGLAB plugin manager is the one that will be used to perform the cluster correction.

Best wishes,