[Eeglablist] Statistics for ERSP and ITC

Delorme, Arnaud adelorme at ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 19 18:11:05 PDT 2020

Dear Laurent,

In the EEGLAB STUDY interface, you can plot both subject average and single subject. I would look into single subject ERSP/ITC and also not masked for significance to see if there is any trend. For example, you say you were expecting to see a power increase. Can you see that for even a subset of subjects.

Best wishes,

Arno

> On Jul 17, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Laurent,
>
> The baseline correction in epoching is one thing, and the baseline
> correction for ERSP/ITC is quite another. The former has no effect on the
> latter.
> It makes sense that you changed the former and you did not see any
> difference in the latter.
>
> To manually specify baseline period for ERSP/ITC for STUDY, you have to use
> optional input in STUDY GUI.
> Please try it again while using 'baseline', [-1500 -1000] so that mean
> value (in dB) between -1500 to -1000 will be used for subtraction.
> I predict that this will change the ERSP results.
> Meanwhile, ITC result will be the same. There is nothing you can do for the
> ITC result.
> I care 'ITC randi' and 'ITC spike' have different background noise
> distributions... at least I can tell that the color scales are different
> between the two plots, if you say the both conditions have the same/similar
> number of trials. Maybe you want to show the color bar for the both plots
> to make sure of it?
>
> Makoto
>

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 12:20 AM Laurent Sheybani <Laurent.Sheybani at unige.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Makoto for your help !
>>
>> I actually did not apply a baseline correction (given the high signal to
>> noise ratio, and the fact that I am just checking if I handle correctly
>> Eeglab). For these steps I use EEGLAB's gui. When the window 'Baseline
>> removal' pops up after extracting epochs, I just press cancel (as it is
>> written to press Cancel if one does not want to remove the baseline).
>> However, now that you asked, I tried again, this time extracting epochs
>> from -3000 to +1000 ms around markers, and correcting for baseline, using
>> as baseline the period of -3000 ms to -2000 ms (the statistics are applied
>> after -2000 ms). The results are similar. I also selected an equal number
>> of test and control trials, and again obtained the same results (I can
>> attached them to this email if you need, but there are really just the
>> same...). I feel that I am missing a step in the processing pipeline but I
>> can't find where ?
>>
>> If you have any further idea, I would appreciate again your help !
>> Best
>> Laurent

>>> power.jpg?dl=0__;!!Mih3wA!R-vXecxt4S9nEJwpZ1Y3TT5lFDzVkvCPQW8ctGvZlHkO
>>> pF7Adw-hqNe9c3QF6ZzjUvrFqg$
>>> ) (ITC file:
>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.dropbox.com/s/npa6f7llnv6tbhl/
>>> ITC.jpg?dl=0__;!!Mih3wA!R-vXecxt4S9nEJwpZ1Y3TT5lFDzVkvCPQW8ctGvZlHkOpF